Thursday, October 17, 2024

Exploring the OSR

Let me preface this: I have enough 5e material to last probably the rest of my life. At least based upon my schedule as an adult and bandwidth for prepping and playing games. So I probably won't get as much opportunity to dive into Old School play as I might like. My players are mostly family members at this time in my life, and they're still grappling with the rules of 5e as they get into TTRPGs (I mean this literally: many of them probably still don't know that grappling is even an option as an action).

That being said, it is obvious that there is plenty of material, mechanics, and lessons to be gleaned from the original games, the “retro-clones,” and games with modern mechanics and old school flavor. So I would like to try OSRIC, Labyrinth Lord, Swords & Wizardry, For Gold & Glory, Empire of the Petal Throne, Swords & Glory, and more. On the scifi side, I'd love to try out Traveller in one of its many forms. Then there’s also the new games with OSR sensibilities, like Cairn, Knave, Shadowdark, and more.

For all of the systems listed above, I have copies of the core rules. Over time in future posts, I'll take a deep dive into the rule book and then provide a reaction article summarizing my thoughts regarding the material. I'll also examine character creation, as building a character in different systems, which is something I love to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cursed Scroll 3: Reactions

This will be out of order from the other Shadowdark zines, but I don’t care because I love Vikings , and that’s what this one is about.  But...