Sunday, February 4, 2024

Offering New Character Options

Often although I’ve basically accepted the role of forever GM, I find cool character concepts or subclass options or what have you that I like and wish I could play. I recently discovered I’m not the only person who feels this way. In the KibblesTasty Discord server in the drafting room channel, there was an interesting discussion between several GMs about the character options they allow in there games and their lists of allowed content. One commented something to the effect of “I’m glad I’m not the only one with a list of things I’d like to see you play.” 

Most of my games so far have been either introducing new players or my first time GMing in the case of my game with veteran players. In both cases it made sense to stick with 5e options (our system of choice) that were relatively simple. In a few weeks though I hope to start up a new campaign with experienced players set in Midgard from Kobold Press. We plan to play through Empire of the Ghouls also by Kobold Press. In this game I want to restrict the players to subclasses from the 2014 Player’s Handbook and Kobold Press books Midgard Heroes Handbook and Tome of Heroes. I plan to also allow the Warlord and Occultist classes from KibblesTasty and the Pugilist by Benjamin Huffman on the DMsGuild. 

Why these particular resources? The Midgard character-focused book are written geared to the setting and provide some unique options, so they make sense. The Occultist actually provides some unique connections to the themes of the adventure, so I think it would be interesting if someone chose it. The Warlord and Pugilist though? Frankly, they’re only included because I really like them and want to see someone play them. 

I definitely have character concepts that I would love to play using these options. The solid and seasoned mercenary commander for the warlord or the chieftain of a remote tribe. The grizzled boxer or bruiser from the rough streets of a big city, searching for the underground pit fight or ring in every town they stop in to meet the local champ. Or the gambler who is a brawler out of necessity and “know[s] when to walk away and when to run.” 

Guess I’ll have to make them into NPCs that the characters may meet in passing—but make sure the spotlight stays on the players and how they interact with these creations of mine.

Don’t know if there’s really a point to this ramble, but the characters we create and that our characters create make our fantasy worlds vibrant. We get to experience a new world through their eyes and inhabit it to escape some of the problems of ours—or maybe learn how to face our own problems with more strength and empathy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Demonology Domain

While reaching the message boards on ENWorld, I stumbled across the subclass below created by RustyDemiGod. I loved the concept so much and ...