Friday, August 16, 2024

Variety in RPG Play

I realized this past week how open I am in my RPG preferences. I don’t on if this will change over time, as I become a one of the probably many 5e converts to RPG play that will grip the 2014 or 2024 versions of the game with white knuckles, insisting that it was and is and will always be the best version of this game. Nostalgia certainly is a thing, even now as I reflect on my first campaign and games. 

Now, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with having certain games that you love. There’s a reason for that. If you love a certain game system, that actually makes me wish I could play with you, and experience the passion you have for that particular game. But for myself, I’ve realized that I love the variety. I enjoy discovering new mechanics, or the insights about the systems I know well that I gain from trying something new. This was made apparent as I crack open my copy of Warhammer: Wrath & Glory (2nd Edition, by Cubicle 7), and discovered that skill checks are made by rolling a dice pool of d6’s. The different solutions we have come up with to inject that most interesting and game specific element into our stories: chance. 

Again, I don’t judge anyone for having strong preferences. And perhaps I could be more discriminating regarding RPG design choices (that I think will happen as I learn and play new systems). I have a dear friend who falls into the camp of having preferred systems. I introduced him to Classic Traveller, and he related to me how a few weeks ago he found Dragonbane, a system I’ve heard of, but yet to try. 

My first reaction, and I hope my continued reaction was “that sounds cool! I’d love to try a game with you sometime!” While we might have preferred systems, rules, opinions on characters, and stories, I want to always remember that the real reason I feel happier playing these games is because I’m playing at a table with other people that I want to learn from and build relationships with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Empire of the Ghouls - 28 Sept 2024 Session Planning Notes

Spoilers follow... Secrets & Clues Gybick was the center of the "Mice," the late king of Krakovar's spy network. Velda Lup...